Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Housing

    Housing is becoming more expensive all across the nation and especially here in Las Vegas. My house which I bought in December has already gone up in value by 80k. As someone who recently left the rental life for a mortgage, I can say it is difficult to acquire your own home in this economy. I feel bad for the struggles people are facing in Clark County with the ever increasing rent prices. Rent is higher than most mortgages in most cases it seems. Without living with your parents rent free or having your parents assist you with money for college, providing you with a free car and health insurance it is rough. As a first generation American I have had to work hard to get to where I am at and still have much to go to get to where I want to get to in order build generational wealth to pass onto my daughter and future children.

    Housing can be as high as 70% of the average American's income making it hard to ever get out and pursue a home, further education, and a nice vacation. I feel as though today's generation has it rough compared to the last. My wife's mother was able to arrive in the United States at 40 years of age and not speaking English and was able to work and buy a house. Today's youth are more stressed about insurance and other bills and mental health is at an all time high. Not to be all doom and gloom, some companies have been working to help create more affordable housing solutions. 3D printed homes are one such example. If you didn't have to worry about an expensive rent/mortgage imagine how free you would feel and how much less stress you would have. I feel as though most Americans are a paycheck or two away from being homeless and that is a huge problem. 

    Do you think 3D printed homes could make housing more affordable and available to Americans? Why or why not? Would you buy a 3D printed home?

12 comments:

  1. I saw a video about 3D printed home. I would need to learn and understand the materials being 'printed' to construct the house and maintenance of such a house versus a traditionally built house :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to see how 3D-printed homes progress; they definitely seem like they could play a part in solving the problem.

    I think what's particularly infuriating about the situation in Las Vegas is that the city knew this was coming; experts have been warning people in charge for over a decade that there would be mass migration from California, the South, etc., and that the city was totally unprepared for it.

    Folks in charge did literally nothing, and now, we're here. And what adds insult to injury is when I drive over to Lone Mountain, and pass all these empty luxury homes that the developers refuse to sell for less than $700k, while you've got people all over town literally sleeping on sidewalks because they can't afford anywhere to live.

    The situation is basically a hallmark of a collapsing society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buying a house and dealing with a mortgage is something I am scared off, but I will have to face it soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3D house I'm going to say No. Only because I've never heard of it and its new, so I don't want to be a guinea pig

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I hope to someday buy an island far from any country's jurisdiction. Can't be affected by inflation if I don't live in or trade with said country. Just gotta be sure the island is fertile and can yield crops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtesy of this blog I watched a video on Youtube about 3D homes. I am not sure how this type of home would hold up against the elements, so I would choose traditional built homes. I must say that was quite interesting how nice it looked after it was done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen a few 3D printed homes on youtube and it seems interesting. If it saves money, I'll do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just looked up a video on 3D printed homes. They seem so futuristic, but I don't know if I trust.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of 3D printed homes until now so I had to watch a video. I am excited to see if it is something that could work as sustainable housing. I am always looking into alternative ways to owning a home other than just the traditional homes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like I remember seeing studio apartments being a few hundred a month around 2017-18 and now its like 1000-1600 for a simple apartment! really threw a wrench in my plans to move out of my parents!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually just recently bought land in Dolan Springs! I will definitely be looking into 3D homes. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 3D homes are quite similar to a new concept called Boxabl, which is a casita type home that comes to you premade, and can be unpacked and assembled in an hour. It is quite compact, more like a studio, and has similar layout. The world's richest man Elon Musk owns a Boxabl as his only personal home.

    ReplyDelete