Saturday, March 19, 2022

Netflix raising price for account sharing

    Netflix is the number one streaming service in the world currently, with close competitors with Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Disney Plus, Hulu, and Peacock. Recently Netflix announced that they are testing feature where subscribers will pay an extra fee for sharing their service outside of their household. So far this is being tested in Chile, Costa Rica, and Peru with no word on when this will roll out globally. To implement this Netflix will be using IP addresses, device IDs, and other information about devices signed into Netflix. No more will exist the days where you can share your Netflix account with friends and family for free at least. By doing this Netflix will be able to obtain more customers and revenue that will help them improve their service as well as fund new Netflix Original shows and movies. 

    For fans of anime, Sony acquired Crunchyroll awhile back and they already own Funimation. They began to merge the two services and decided to keep Crunchyroll as the premier one stop source for anime. Rather than try to compete with the already saturated streaming market, Sony chose to target a specific audience. Funimation will be phased out over the next few months as they finish the merger and Crunchyroll will be the number one anime streaming service globally. 

    What are your thoughts on Netflix's plan to charge more for sharing? What streaming services do you use and which ones are your favorite? Any anime fans? If so Bleach (the greatest anime ever) is returning this year with the Thousand Year Blood War Arc animation, which is very exciting.  

12 comments:

  1. Very smart on Netflix's part!

    I'm not into anime so I have never heard of Crunchyroll or Funimation.

    Thank you for the heads up on Netflix :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family share a Netflix plan, which my Dad pays so I am not really worried about it. I really like to watch Netflix and I used to share a Funimation subscription with a friend, but I honestly didn't like Funimation because it didn't have all the anime I wanted. I haven't watched Bleach yet, but maybe the new arc will motivate me to watch it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weren't we always taught to share? I think Netflix is charging a lot and I feel like they are being greedy. I like watching Tubi, Pluto Tv and Peacock because those are free and they play a lot of older shows from back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, it's funny...I can't tell you how many times management has attempted to guilt-trip me or my coworkers into doing things for less money, lower pay, longer hours without adequate compensation, etc by saying something along the lines of

    "Sometimes you have to sacrifice so that the business can survive."

    I guess I'm just wondering why shaving executive pay and benefits, instead of raising prices in the middle of skyrocketing inflation, wasn't on the table. Doesn't that count as "sacrificing for the business???"

    I get that their revenue streams are declining, but considering the situation we're in today, it reeks of price-gouging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Netflix prices isn't just rising for shared devises, it's raising with the standard package as well. It's annoying and I get sad when I see it because I don't want to pay for it, but I also like Netflix so there's nothing I can do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still watch all my movies and TV shows illegally. I guess I must be old school, thank God for Putlocker and WCOFUN lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really use Netflix. I mostly use disney+, and crunchyroll. im super excited for bleach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew it would come to this with Netflix. I mean I remember when you didn't have to pay extra for multiple screens. We all used the same account for only $9. I don't pay for it now but if I need to I will.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ever since the increase, we decided to cancel Disney+ since everyone else uses Netflix more. Crunchyroll is not really something that catches my interest at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have an Amazon Prime account for shopping it comes with the streaming access. I also have access to Netflix, Hulu, Disney +, Peacock and Tubi. I don't watch much tv anyway, my schedule don't allows for that. I would be wasting money if I was paying for all those services and not use them. Netflix is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have Netflix, but sometimes I have no time to watch anything on there, honestly. It is fun to have though.

    ReplyDelete